- Total Population 11.7 million
- Estimated adult HIV prevalence rate in Zambia 17%
- Estimated number of people (all ages) living with HIV 1.2 million
- Life expectancy at birth (years) 41
- Total number of orphans 1.2 million
- Number of orphans due to HIV 710,000
- Population below US$1 a day, 1995-2005 64%
This is A LOT of information to really process. Spend a minute really thinking about what these numbers mean to the people of Zambia. The number of orphans is always what blows me away the most - More than 10% of the population is made up of orphans! For you Bellinghamers - that's 16 times the population of Belligham!! If that doesn't break your heart, I don't know what can. Pray for healing and help. Pray for change.