Friday, March 11, 2011

How To Get a Zambian Driver's License in 50 Easy Steps

HOW TO GET A ZAMBIAN DRIVER'S LICENSE IN 50 EASY STEPS

  1. Go to Road Transit Safety Authority (RTSA) on Lumumba.
  2. Go to the "Information" desk.
  3. Ask for a medical examination form.
  4. Go to Makeni clinic.
  5. Overpay an unscrupulous doctor.
  6. Go to RTSA on Lumumba and be told that they no longer except exams from Makeni and that you have overpaid.
  7. Go back 3 steps.
  8. Or skip numbers (4-7) and go to one of the following approved government clinics:
    1. Kamwala
    2. Chilenge
    3. Kalingalinga
    4. Chawama
    5. Kanyama
    6. George
    7. Mtendere
    8. Chipata
  1. Make sure this list is current!!
  2. Pay k50,000 if you have an ARC.
  3. Pay k1000,000 if you do not have an ARC.
  4. Make sure you are meeting with one of the doctors who is "qualified" to administer the exam.
  5. Take your date stamped medical form and receipt of payment to RTSA on Lumumba.
  6. Be sure to bring at least two copies of your: ARC, passport, work permit, and US drivers license.
  7. Get in line for Room 1.
  8. Be sure to ask around and make sure you are in the right line and that the people who appear to be standing in that line are actually in line.
  9. Plan on being here for anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours.
  10. When you reach Room 1, show them your documents and explain that you are seeking a conversion license.
  11. You will receive a form for a provisional license.
  12. Fill this out.
  13. Take this to Data Capturing.
  14. Then go to Rooms 2 or 3 for photographing.
  15. Try to smile, you're almost halfway there.
  16. Go to cashier (room 15 or 26)
  17. Pay k63,000
  18. Exit RTSA and purchase a King Pie from the cart.
  19. Eat pie.
  20. Return to the same window after 24 hours to set an appointment with RTSA Ridgeway branch for a competency/conversion test.
  21. Pay k47,000 booking fee.
  22. On the day of your booking go to RTSA on Lumumba go early!
  23. Go to Room 7.
  24. Be told to go see Mr. Mwamba across the street.
  25. Drive into the black gates where everyone is lined up in their vehicles.
  26. Skip the line.
  27. Park.
  28. Go see Mr. Mwamba in the booth.
  29. Arrange for a drive test.
  30. Even if RTSA on Lumumba "booked" your test for a certain time, this means nothing, plan on waiting at least a few hours.
  31. Pay someone k15,000 to outfit your vehicle with "L" plates for your drive (this may be optional)
  32. Pray
  33. Do your drive test.
  34. If you passed, go back to Mr. Mwamba and give him your paperwork for stamping.
  35. Take this paperwork to RTSA on Lumumba after 24 hours.
  36. Go to Room 25 and give them your forms.
  37. Go to Room 26 and pay k79,000.
  38. Exit RTSA
  39. Buy a King Pie (Ham and Cheese is nice)
  40. Eat pie.
  41. In four weeks you can pick your card up at RTSA on Dedan Kimathi Rd.
  42. Celebrate.

22 comments:

Ted K. said...

well steps "eat the pie" and "pray" are ok. The rest is crazy!

Megan said...

This honestly was the most frustrating government thing I have personally dealt with in Zambia! At least 10 different days ( and I do mean ALL day long type of days!) to accomplish these steps. AND then being failed bc not willing to pay a bribe, retesting another day AND don't even bother going to pick up the license in 4 weeks...It has been 5 MONTHS and just went by again yesterday and they said try back again in April! And to think back home it would be less than half a day- maybe even half an hour to update our license! TIA...

Anonymous said...

You are only part the way there....I have been in Zambia for 4 1/2 years and applied and passed 3 times (2 correct way and 1 corrupt) and I still don't have my plastic license card and I still pay fines on the road for not having my plastic!!!!

Anonymous said...

It's sad. The fact that they (RTSA/ RTC) say that there system is now computerised just makes the whole process seem stupid. It took me a full month to get a renewal of my D.L and I had a rude awakening to learn that even the computerised system omits individuals who are renewing their D.Ls :O. Zambian gov't bodies need to revisit their ICT policies on systems implementation and usage.

Anonymous said...

I leave a response whenever I especially enjoy a post on a
website or I have something to contribute to the discussion.
It's a result of the sincerness displayed in the article I looked at. And on this post "How To Get a Zambian Driver's License in 50 Easy
Steps". I was actually excited enough to drop a thought :-P I do have a couple of questions for you if it's allright. Is it only me or do a few of these responses look like they are written by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting on other online sites, I'd like to follow you. Could you list the complete urls of all your community sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

Feel free to surf to my blog: redhothull.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks in support of sharing such a nice thinking, paragraph is good, thats
why i have read it fully

Review my blog ... mens vestal watches

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your website in Firefox, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer,
it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a
quick heads up! Other then that, wonderful blog!


My site; Womens Armitron Watches

Anonymous said...

This is my first time go to see at here and i am actually
pleassant to read all at one place.

Here is my blog: wrist watches

Anonymous said...

This article offers clear idea for the new people of blogging, that truly how to do blogging
and site-building.

Also visit my web-site: armitron watches for women

Anonymous said...

We are a gaggle of volunteers and starting a new
scheme in our community. Your web site offered us
with useful information to work on. You have performed a formidable job and our entire group might be thankful to you.


Here is my weblog; relic watches

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure why but this weblog is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end? I'll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.


Have a look at my webpage ... womens vestal watches

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if
you knew where I could locate a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having trouble finding one?
Thanks a lot!

Also visit my blog: Www.pariscitybreaks.com

Anonymous said...

Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to
and you're just extremely excellent. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you're
saying and the way in which you say it. You make
it enjoyable and you still care for to keep
it wise. I can not wait to read far more from you.

This is actually a tremendous web site.

my page :: bisnis online 2012

Anonymous said...

That is a really good tip particularly to those new to the
blogosphere. Simple but very precise info… Thanks
for sharing this one. A must read article!

My web-site - women's relic watches

Anonymous said...

Superb, what a webpage it is! This webpage
gives helpful facts to us, keep it up.

My web page; akribos xxiv for women

Anonymous said...

Hello very nice blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .
. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds also? I'm satisfied to search out a lot of useful information right here in the publish, we'd like develop extra techniques in this
regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

Here is my web site - seo articles

Anonymous said...

It's a shame you don't have a donate button!

I'd without a doubt donate to this outstanding blog! I guess for now i'll settle for bookmarking
and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to new updates and
will talk about this website with my Facebook group.
Chat soon!

my page :: stuhrling watches

Anonymous said...

I must thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this blog.

I really hope to see the same high-grade content from you in the future as well.
In truth, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to
get my own, personal blog now ;)

Feel free to visit my weblog :: starting an online business

Anonymous said...

This page really has all of the information I wanted about this
subject and didn't know who to ask.

Here is my web-site; afriness.com

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this,
like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to
drive the message home a little bit, but other than that,
this is excellent blog. A great read. I'll definitely be back.

Also visit my website; http://Wiki.jpmoz.net/%E5%88%A9%E7%94%A8%E8%80%85:MariCowle

Anonymous said...

I suppose you guys are missionaries. What truth do you teach your would be converts. This article is malicious. Eating a pie is one your 50 easy steps to getting a plastic card. I agree the system is not customer friendly but you have over exaggerated facts and I guess it meant to make your sympathizers think you work from a jungle so that they can donate money to your mission. I pray one day Christ will open your eyes and stop misusing his name for a failed career. Have you ever tried getting a job from your country? Trying reading the bible and stop watching tazarn.

Anonymous said...

I suppose you guys are missionaries. What truth do you teach your would be converts. This article is malicious. Eating a pie is one your 50 easy steps to getting a plastic card. I agree the system is not customer friendly but you have over exaggerated facts and I guess it meant to make your sympathizers think you work from a jungle so that they can donate money to your mission. I pray one day Christ will open your eyes and stop misusing his name for a failed career. Have you ever tried getting a job from your country? Trying reading the bible and stop watching tazarn.