So this is the hard part

Moving to Zambia has been difficult. I'm not going to lie. There have definitely been days where I felt like I just hated everything. But then again, I had those days sometimes in good old Bellingham too.

The moving part isn't the hard part though; starting fresh here in Lusaka has its ups and downs to be sure but you expect that. Moving to a new place is hard whether it's across the country or across the world.

The hard part for me, I am finding as we swoop on past the 6-month mark and head into real life here in Africa, well, it's seeing everybody else's life just swoop on by without you. It's seeing friends and family have babies, get new jobs, move into new houses or apartments, do their thing WITHOUT the Huckabys around to really celebrate with, or laugh with or cry with. It's basically losing touch with the reality of the lives of the people I love.

Trust me when I say that I know full well that leaving you a comment on Facebook is NOT really celebrating with you or being there for you. And really all the Facebook and Skype stuff in some ways makes things worse because it does a much better job of making you feel un-connected than connected most of the time. But I can't really complain about that because at least I get to see pictures and funny videos, right?

Okay, now this is starting to sound like a pity party. But I know some inquiring minds out there want to know. So, there's the hardest part for you.

Comments

Danielle said…
I totally get what you are saying. I have a love/hate relationship with all the technology because then I see everything that's happening without US! But I also love seeing it too. Six months was really hard for me. Between 6-9 I struggled the most. I think that's when the culture shock/adjustment period kind of turned into the daily grind and I woke up one day realizing this was really my life now. Now I am in a much better place, and we did get to go home at Christmas which was good and bad seeing that everyone had "moved on" without us. But we are thankful for those friendships that kind of pick up where we left off in the States...and all of the new ones we now have in El Salvador. Can't imagine the roller coaster ride you guys have been on...adopting...moving around...adjusting to Africa...wow what a six months you've had!
Anonymous said…
Tricia, you guys will always be my friends. And a good friendship doesn't just leave off. Honestly, we may not have coffee together now, or I may not come over to make granola, but you are still involved in my life, and there's not a week goes by that something doesn't remind me of you all. And sending presents always helps. :) I love you. and always will.
-Kat